The decision to delay the opening of school, dismiss early or close school for the day due to weather conditions is never an easy one. Our priority is always the safety of the children.
When school is closed or delayed because of weather or other emergencies, early morning announcements will be made over the following local radio and TV stations:
WDNB (Thunder 102.1)
WZAD (97.3 The WOLF)
WPKF (96.1 KISS FM)
WCBS (channel 2)
WNBC (channel 4)
WNYW Fox (channel 5)
TWCN (cable 6)
WABC (channel 7)
WBNG (channel 12)
WRNN (channel 22)
School closings, delayed openings and early dismissals also will be:
- posted on the district website (www.libertyk12.org); and
- announced via SchoolMessenger’s automated phone messaging system.
- You may also call (845) 292-5400 to hear a taped message to update you on school delays and closings (closing announcements will follow the initial greeting).
- If you need to make changes to your contact information, please notify your child’s teacher.
- With a two-hour delay, morning Pre-K is cancelled.
- With an early dismissal, all after school activities are cancelled including the Liberty Boys and Girls Club at the elementary school.
Each winter storm brings its own unique set of challenges, which district officials take into account when deciding whether to open school on time. Behind each decision is a delicate balance of educational and safety priorities, first-hand observations and weather forecasts.
The decision to delay or close will be no later than 5:15 a.m. If there is a delayed opening but weather conditions continue to be a problem, the district will determine whether to close by 8 a.m.
We are sensitive to the inconvenience to parents and/or guardians who must make arrangements for their children if school is delayed, dismissed early or closed but safety must take precedence over all other considerations. Parents who deem roads unsafe for travel due to weather should use their own judgment and bring their child to school later.