Schools in New York State just received word that the beginning of the fall sports season will be delayed until at least September 21. This decision was made by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association and all schools must abode by this decision. More changes may occur and you can stay updated through this website or the Facebook page.
Part of the NYSPHSAA announcement read as follows:
The Officers of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA), voted to delay the official start date of the Fall 2020 sports season, cancel the Fall 2020 Regional and State Championships and prepare to implement a condensed season schedule in January 2021 if high school sports remain prohibited throughout 2020 due to COVID-19. This decision comes at the recommendation of the NYSPHSAA COVID-19 Task Force when they convened as a working group for the third time this morning.
“As the state considers reopening, it is unrealistic to believe athletic seasons can start on August 24thas originally scheduled,” said Paul Harrica, NYSPHSAA President. “The priority will continue to be on the educational process and a return to learning in the safest way possible.”
The NYSPHSAA Officers’ decision includes:
• Delay Fall sports start date until Monday, September 21st (NYSPHSAA PAUSE)
• Cancel Fall Regional and State Championship events
• Waive seven-day practice rule
• Maintain current practice requirements
• Encourage geographic scheduling for games & contests
• Schools would have the option, if permitted by state officials, to offer off-season conditioning workouts.
Click the link to find out more about the fall sports delay.