Dear Liberty families,
I hope everyone is safe and healthy as we enter into the Spring season. There have been several recent updates that we have received from New York State Education Department that we want to share with you so that you may support your child’s success.
The New York State Education Department is cancelling all but four of the Regents Examinations scheduled to be administered in June 2021. In addition, they are cancelling all Regents Examinations scheduled to be administered in August 2021.
The four June Regents exams have several factors involved and should be considered in your decision of allowing your student to take the exam. In order to prepare we ask that you follow the directions below to let us know of your decision.
There are also several adjustments related to the requirements that students must normally meet in order to earn diplomas, credentials, and endorsements. These adjustments are listed below. Each course will have a final assessment regardless of whether the corresponding Regents Exam is taken or it has been cancelled.
June 2021 Regents Exam Administration
NYSED plans to administer the following Regents Examinations in June 2021: Algebra I, Living Environment, Earth Science (written only), and English Language Arts.
The schedule of administration dates for these four Regents Examinations will be shared at a later date.
- These examinations shall be administered only in instances where schools and districts can ensure the health and safety of students and teachers.
- Students receiving remote instruction should not be made to come to school for the sole purpose of taking a Regents Examination.
- Regents scores will not be included in the final averages of each course. Instead, the final assessment will be used.
- Regents exam scores will be included on each student’s official transcript.
- We will send out future correspondence containing a form to confirm whether your child will need bus transportation for the Regents exams.
Declining the Opportunity to Take the Regents
- If you or your child choose to decline the Regents exams linked to their coursework, please complete the LHS Regents Declination Form June 2021.. Please make sure to answer all questions on the form, especially the transportation question. If needed, please contact your child’s school counselor if you are unable to complete the form.
Exemptions from Diploma Requirements
Students who meet one of the following eligibility requirements are exempt from the associated Regents requirement:
- Currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents, and pass/earn credit for the course by June 2021. This exemption is in effect as long as the students meet the requirements and pass the course.
- Successfully pass the course of study culminating in a Regents during summer school.
- Previously achieved course credit in a course of study leading to a Regents, but has not yet passed the exam, but intended to take the exam in June or August 2021 to achieve a passing score.
- Failure of a course. Students who have failed the course will be able to complete summer school to pass the required coursework and if successful, will receive an exempt from the Regents.
Students seeking a Mastery in Mathematics or Science endorsement to their diploma may qualify for such endorsement if such student meets the requirements for a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation as well as one of the following criteria:
- Passes 3 math and/or 3 science Regents Examinations with a score of 85 or better;
- Passes 2 math and/or 2 science Regents Examinations with a score of 85 or higher and has been granted an exemption on a third math and/or science Regents Examination; or
- Passes 1 math and/or 1 science Regents Examination with a score of 85 or higher and has earned a final course average of 85 or higher in 2 additional math and/or science courses culminating in a Regents Examination for which they are granted exemptions.
Students seeking the Honors endorsement on their diploma must meet one of the following criteria:
- Earn a computed average of 90 or greater on all Regents examinations applicable to the diploma;
- Earn a computed average of 90 or greater on a minimum of three Regents Examinations applicable to the diploma and exemptions granted for the other examinations applicable to the diploma; or
- For students with fewer than three Regents Examination scores, earn a computed average of 90 or greater for scores on Regents Examinations taken and final course grades in courses ordinarily culminating in a Regents Examination for which exemptions have been granted, applicable to the diploma.
CTE Technical Endorsement
Students enrolled in NYSED approved CTE programs culminating in a CTE pathway who earn the applicable program credit by the end of the 2020-21 school year and intended to take the CTE +1 pathway assessment are exempt from the assessment for graduation purposes. Such students will earn the CTE technical endorsement on their diploma. Students enrolled in programs that culminate in an assessment leading to an industry credential are exempt from passing the assessment for the purposes of meeting diploma requirements.
Important Points of Emphasis
Grading and Final Exams
Each course will have a final assessment regardless of whether the corresponding Regents Exam is taken or it has been cancelled.
Students must pass their courses in order to receive course credit and to receive the Regents exam exemption.
We will continue to provide you with updated information as it becomes available as we anticipate that there will be additional changes that will arise. Thank you for your continued support. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Teachers, Counselors, Ms. Barrow, Mr. Matuszak, or me.
Stay safe, and healthy.
All the Best,
Derek Adams, Principal
Twitter and Instagram- @LibertyHS_NY