Board approves facilities referendum; vote will be Dec. 5
During the public session at the Oct. 17 meeting, the Liberty Board of Education approved a $560,000 capital project referendum that will repair and restore the baseball and soccer fields located within the athletic fields behind Liberty High School. Learn more about the athletic field project and vote here.
About the Board
The Liberty Board of Education is the official policy-making body of the Liberty Central School District. It establishes operational policies, sets educational goals and standards, evaluates program effectiveness, develops the annual school budget and balances educational needs with community resources.
Board of Education meetings are typically held on the second and fourth Tuesday each month at 7 p.m. Meetings are held in the library/media center at Liberty High School.
In addition to its regular meetings, it is sometimes necessary for the board to hold executive sessions. These sessions may precede or follow regular meetings and are for the discussion of sensitive subjects such as personnel matters and employee contract negotiations. All official actions, however, must and do take place at public meetings.
Responsibilities of a Board Member
According to the New York State School Board Association (NYSSBA), board members must fulfill certain duties to the institution and the community they serve.
Major Board Responsibilities
- Set the district’s direction by working with the community to establishing goals, standards and strategies to transform a shared vision into reality;
- Ensure alignment of strategy, resources, policies, programs and processes with district goals;
- Assess and account for progress using comprehensive data, thorough deliberation and open communication; and
- Continuously improve the district, accentuating and reinforcing the positive and correcting the negative.
Major Board Roles
- Represent the entire community;
- Be a steward of the district’s resources;
- Act as a leader of the district; and
- Advocate for public education.