In light of recent threats and tragedies that have occurred in school settings throughout the United States, the Liberty Central School District would like to reassure its students, staff, parents and community members that safety is our district’s top priority. Specifically, our nation has been facing threats of violence throughout our schools. Please be assured that the district takes substantial measures each and every day to ensure the safety of all those who enter our schools.
The Liberty Central School District utilizes a collaborative approach to implement systematic procedures to make sure we provide a safe and comfortable school environment. We accomplish the implementation of safety procedures with our District and Building Safety Committees. These committees meet monthly and address our safety needs on a regular basis.
The district also takes the following additional steps to create a safe environment:
• District and Building Emergency Response Plans
• A School Resource Officer for the whole district
• Monitored visitor entrance and exit procedures
• Emergency Response Books and safety supplies for every room in all schools
• Incident Command Training for all members of the District Safety Committee
• Annual safety drills in compliance with NYSED Regulations
• Use of social and emotional supports such as counseling and the use of the Mindfulness program
• Collaboration with the Sullivan County County-wide Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) team
• An anonymous alerts system
• Safety trainings provided to all staff members
• Safety presentations for our student body from outside organizations, such as the New York State Troopers’ School and Community Outreach Unit
• Camera surveillance in and outside every school building
• Continuously evaluating and adapting our procedures to the most current safety needs